How to get an OEC when applying for work abroad through a recruitment agency

All OFWs go through a certain process in order to get their documents and apply for a job to workabroad. There are also steps that they have to accomplish before they can leave the country, most importantly getting their Overseas Employment Certificate (OEC). The problem is, most OFWs are not informed and gets confused on these processes.

The process an OFW goes through is different whether he/she applied for a job through a recruitment agency or getting directly hired by a foreign employer. It is important to know which documents to get, how much these costs, and where to go. In this guide, a detailed explanation is given on how an OFW under a recruitment agency gets an OEC.

1. Once the OFW gets accepted on the job abroad after a series of interviews and document processing (depends on the agency), a pre-employment briefing will be given by the agency.

2. The OFW then needs to attend the PDOS seminar and take a medical exam (in any order):

a. You can attend the PDOS seminar either through POEA/OWWA or the recruitment agency to get ready for your work abroad

-Proceed to OWWA to schedule and get a slot for the PDOS seminar as there are certain times and number of slots available per day OR the agency conducts the seminar and charges a fee.

Cost: Seminar registration fee of around Php200-400

Receive: PDOS Certificate, CPDEP Certificate (for household workers, another seminar required)

b. Choose an accredited clinic and take the medical exam there.

Cost: Approximately Php2,500 but additional exams/operations such as dental service may be needed (up to around Php2,500 more)

Receive: Fit to Work Medical Certificate

c. For household workers, additional certification are required. Check the page on “How to get NC II for Household Service Workers” for information on how to get these.

3. Submit the PDOS certificate, fit to work medical certificate and other certificates required (for household service workers) to the recruitment agency to be processed.

Cost: Php2400 for PhilHealth (1 year coverage)

4. The agency will do the OEC processing for you in exchange for a fee. Once finished, they will give you the OEC and you can now work abroad.

Receive: E-receipt

Hope this prepares you in getting your OEC when you apply for an overseas job through a recruitment agency.